Saturday, December 13, 2008

Moment of a wise man

"I just thought it was another night. As I woke up I went through the routine. My two companions of research arrived and we began the evening like any other. John did a lot of reading, Dave spent hours engrossed over the maps, and I, like always, had my eye stuck to the telescope. In truth, I love what we do, and even though we have spent our lives waiting for this moment, I almost never believed it would come. All the hours of research, study, mapping out the skies and searching out the Scriptures. All the learning, all the teaching, all the waiting. Who knew that the daily routines of that particular day would bring us to such a glorious outcome!
Though there I was, starring through, counting and gazing as was the usual. But something was different tonight, the sky was gloriously clear and it even seemed brighter.
I looked around the constellations wondering to myself what it was that made tonight so clear. Then suddenly it happened! I caught my breathe, I was unable to move. Through the two lenses of glass it was as if I had actually caught a glimpse of heaven. The star was so bright, it was glorious… ‘could this be a mistake?’ It couldn’t be! It was unbelievable, after all this time here it was! From the East…
It was the sign.
When my mind began to catch up with the overflow of my emotions my arms began to fly around, all the while I didn’t seem capable of releasing my eye from the telescope.
At first I think my partners began to wonder if I had been possessed by evil spirits. But soon following my arms my brain seemed to signal forth something from the very depths of my soul to form the one single word of which was the only identifiable thing in the vocabulary of my existence at that moment… ‘Messiah.’
As soon as the word left my lips it was as if it inserted into the hearts of my companions. They knew. In a flight Dave pushed me over onto my side as he threw his eye in front of the lens. A look, a gasp for air, and a desperate glance back to John. There was no doubt, this was it. No more research needed to be done; we all knew it from our hearts, not only from our previously done work, but from the confession of our souls.
He was here!

What seemed like seconds later we were already riding on the trail. Even though we had traveled those hills countless times before, they seemed new. The path was fresh, our hearts were burning, and we rode our camels as if they were the king’s horses.

The journey went in a flash; we finally broke away from Herod, and came upon Bethlehem. It wasn’t hard to find Him now, the heavens testified to His whereabouts.
But after everything that had happened up to that moment, I could have never been prepared for what happened next…
We rounded the hill and where there would normally be simple darkness began a line of sheep, and as my eyes followed the narrow path up to where their masters stood, there was a magnificent glow coming from the normally dark and damp cave. It seemed even in such a dim place He was already drawing everything to Himself.
We unsaddled, unstrapped the gifts that we had brought, it was the best portions of what we had, but yet it felt unworthy for what we were about to do with it. I didn’t know whether to crawl or run.
But somehow here we are.

I have never felt this humbled before, I have never before been this alive; I have never felt more privileged and never more joyous as to be here in such a glorious place. Who I am doesn’t matter, what I’ve brought doesn’t matter, It doesn’t matter that I’m in a cave, it doesn’t matter that the rocks seem to pierce my knees...
All that matters is that in this moment, I am here.
I am worshipping the very Son of God."



Can you imagine being this man.
Heaven is always breaking in your world. Are you looking through the lenses God has given you? Are you pursuing the living God at full speed? Are you bringing the best of what you have to offer? Are you worshipping the Son of God?

0 comments: